easter

Together

Together

Friday, May 8, 2009

Recreational Repenting of Others

I just read a great article. I would recommend it for everyone! It is called Recreational Repenting of Others by Wally Goddard (http://www.drwally.org/moving-from-selfhood/recreational-repenting-of-others/) It has two specific applications in my life.

First, with my mother. I have excused my irritability by saying "I hope my children have more patience than I do." No, I need to do something about it! There is no better day than today to begin.

Second, in my Church calling. I have followed this approach in that I know I can change any situation by changing my behavior. I may not be able to make the situation perfect. But, I can make it a lot better.

This is the conclusion of the article ". . . can see his or her own irritation as an invitation to repent. Irritation is not so much about what my partner is doing wrong but how I am thinking wrong. I can repent. I can choose to see the good. I can see the differences as a blessing. I can allow my partner to be different from me. I can choose to learn from my partner and to feel blessed by my partner.

Fixing people is really God’s prerogative. Only as we become more godly should we presume to change another person. And here’s the great irony: As we become more godly, we enjoy people more and more just as they are."

You really need to read the article. Oops, I really needed to read the article. Perhaps there is something in it that could bless your life. I hope so.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hmm. Sounds like something I need to read. Maybe Allen needs to read it too . . .