easter

Together

Together

Thursday, August 5, 2010

A beautiful view and excellent place to hike or a 'hell of a place to loose a cow'


This picture was taken at a recent trip to Bryce Canyon. When you consider Bryce, perspective is important. Bryce is a beautiful view, an excellent place to hike, or a "hell of a place to loose a cow."

Perspective or It's all in how you look at it

I spent some time with a friend today and once again came to the conclusion that pespective it all important!

My Mom forgot to get me a gift for my birthday. She has no idea how much that hurt my feelings, especially after Pat's family reunion. However, my mother is alive, a gift I can not begin to measure.

Another friend had a job offer, for a job he really wanted, withdrawn. But, he has a job. He is smart enough to look for employment while still employed. Such a disappointment, it cannot be denied. He has been looking for such a long time, But, he has a job.

Day after day I work with people trying to assist them in securing employment. and day after day we are met with challenges. Hundreds of applications for one job. I do not need a job, or so my husband says.

I taught a class on perspective as part of a graduate qualitative research class. I like to think I am aware of perspective. In my dissertation research three men with quadriplegia (that is how they prefer to be described if it is pertinent to the discussion) were working full time. they were grateful to be alive-looking at what they had instead of what they did not have. But there were many others that were on disability with far less disabling conditions. One told me that his hands were stiff and he could no longer lay bricks. Another had a bipolar and was content with receiving SSDI and working part time. As I interviewed people it became abundantly clear that the perspective of the client as well as the case manager/physical therapist was of critical importance. The support system available for the individual and secure housing were also critical factors. The individual with disabilities could not control all of the variables. But he/she can choose perspective.

So why write this? I have been through a rough patch. I pray I am through it! and I needed to be reminded that it's all in the perspective you choose. Yes, the glass is half empty and half full at the same time.

I wish it was easier to remember.

3 comments:

something very bright said...

I need to keep this in mind as I search for a new job too: at least I have one, and it's more than what a lot of people have.

Mary said...

True. The other day at work, I was sure it was going to be terrible. Then I made the decision to have a good day. And it was. It's amazing how much one's chosen attitude/perspective makes a difference.

Screamin' Meme said...

Perspective is a wonderful thing. It definitely makes a difference in the world around me. If I choose to let situations bring me down then I'm miserable and if I choose to just make it the best day I can it ends up being good.

Thanks for sharing the picture I've never been to Bryce Canyon, looks like a beautiful place to hike.