easter

Together

Together

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Days Three (Friday) and Four (Saturday) in Florida

Days Three(Friday) and Four(Saturday) in Florida


It was Friday and we decided to go to the Orlando Temple. It was built 14 years ago, long after I left the state. The Orlando Temple is absolutely beautiful! The Celestial room has touches of lavendar and purple like the wisteria that blooms so abundantly in Florida.

It was like every other temple session with one glaring exception. As I was offered a hand I could see it was a deep brown color and the man spoke with a thick Hispanic accent. It was then real to me, all my friends, no matter their color could now receive the gospel and be blessed based on their own choices. It was a thrill! Way back when. . . we were not even encouraged to discuss the gospel with our black friends. There were boycotts and protests regarding the Church's Stand. In Miami in 1972/73 there were race riots and burnings. And I could not understand why black men could not hold the Priesthood. But I knew—I did not know everything, nor would I ever. But the Lord knew and I had faith in Him.

It was only four years later, I remember hearing the news for the first time as we were driving out to the University Mall, that all worthy male members of the church would be extended the privilege of holding the Priesthood. But not until I stood in the Orlando Temple on that day did I see that all my dreams and wishes for these good people—who had done nothing wrong—became a reality. I saw more handsome dark-skinned men and beautiful women in the Temple that day than I ever sould have imagined as a youth. The same was true on Sunday when we finally found a meeting house. This experience alone was worth the whole trip. Thank you Heavenly Father!

Then it was time to head south. It was a longer drive than I expected. The Turnpike is nice enough but the orange groves were missing. We found them on the way back through the middle of the state. There was plenty of traffic!

When we arrived at the hotel, after Magellen, the “girlfriend,” tried to keep us going around and around the very last block before we arrived, we were a bit surprised. It was not the four star hotel it was made out to be on the internet. But I knew my sweet husband and son had done their very best to secure a really nice place for us-so NO complaints were heard from me. Although the walls and bathrooms had been updated-old hotels have very thin walls and . . . . We ventured down to the beach for a bit. After which we had a nice dinner—back in our room watching a beautiful sunset from the balcony. The tiki bar was very loud and uncomfortable to us non-drinkers. They did have good food and it was reasonably priced. I should mention, we tried several times to get into our room. The key just wouldn't work, no matter how many times they re-programed it at the front desk. The maintenance man finally got it to work but thought the battery might be going out, but he didn't replace it. Not once in four days did the key work the first time we tried. I gave up and left the fight with the door to him. He was pretty good at it by the time we left.

Saturday turned out to be the only day we would spend in Miami. It was further from Fort Lauderdale than Pat had thought. But Saturday really meant less traffic as we got an early start.
First stop, Key Biscayne and Crandon Park. I spent much of my life on that beach. Now it was more beautiful than ever. It was at least twice as wide and covered in pristine white sand. The Zoo was gone, moved to South Miami somewhere. But the old cabanas were still there as was the carousel and skating rink. We only stayed a few minutes as I had many miles to go!
Second stop, the lighthouse at the State park. Saturday in the town of Key Biscayne was very busy and full of traffic and soccer games for young and old. We waited in line for a good while before getting into the park. Never could figure out why they didn't open the other line. Even when we left it was still closed, and the line was horribly long by then. The lighthouse looked the very same. About the only thing that looked the same after 34 years. The beach was just as I'd left it, but couldn't compare to the beautifully expanded shore line of Crayndon Park. Again we only stayed for a few minutes. But this time I
took a picture of my feet in the water. With all the rainy weather I had my doubts about actually getting into the water all the way on this trip.

Back over the Causeway we went. The big bridge had been named for my Mom's boss, William Powell. That was really cool to see. The Rusty Pelican was still there but it appeared the water- raceway had been shut down. It was covered with graffiti. NOAA and the Seaquarium were still functioning but the number of boats docked around the place had probably tripled.

We then drove down Brickell Road to Dinner key where we used to take our take-out dinner and watch the sunset and the boats. The pavilion was gone but the place looked well cared for-as did the large number of boats and trucks and trailers all around.

Then we ventured up 27th Avenue to see if any of our old houses were still standing. No! We didn't find a one. But they were old when I lived in them. The one in Coral Gate was probably still there but I didn't go down the street to see. We then drove through Coral Gables on the Miracle Mile. Sears was still on the corner as was the restaurant formerly known as Sambos. It was lovely. Non of the Gables area looked like a hurricane had been though. Whereas, you could really tell every place else we went. The old builders knew about hurricanes and built things to last!

It was off to the old Miami second ward. I had wanted to go to church there but. . .it was no longer the second ward. It was the Stake center for the Miami South Stake and Spanish as well. But the building looked good. There were cars around but it was locked up. I did get a few pictures. I spent a lot of time in that building. It is where I learned about the Gospel, and gained a testimony of the truth.

We stopped a a little bakery across Flagler and I got a pastry-carne. Exactly as I remembered, it was so good! We also had some chocolate milk, I guess that was breakfast. But while we were there I struck up a conversation (imagine that if you can) with a local man and he told us where we could get a good Cuban sandwich. It wasn't too far so that is where we went for lunch.

Cuban sandwiches are kind of like subs. People put different things on them. But I got the traditional one with pickles and grilled in a press. It was good! Pat decided he'd might as well try one while he was there. It was a funny place just teaming with Cubans. I am pretty sure I was the only one there that did not speak Spanish. But it sure felt familiar.


Then back across town to Miami High. As you can see from the pictures, it was undergoing renovation. Considering how old (over 80 years) it was, it was a good thing. But it was sad to see it so run down. I still got a couple of good pictures that can give you a hint as to its former glory.

I somehow missed the Orange Bowl as we continued to drive east. It may have been torn down. But we drove right through downtown and then over the Rickenbacher Causway. We hit a lot of traffic but that gave me time to look around. Everything has grown up! We traveled north upo the middle of Miami Beach, what a zoo! But it was Saturday afternoon. The old run down hotels of the 30's and 40's have been restored mostly. It was cool to see the Art-Deco styles and colors. But the people. No one watched out for cars! I ws glad to find the Julia Tuttle Causway and head back east over the intercoastal waterway and then north toward the hotel.

We stopped at the Jungle Queen and got tickets for the 6pm tour and all you can eat buffet. I was able to locate and use the coupon for $3 off each ticket! WooHoo!! I thought we had enough time to get back to the hotel and rest for a few minutes. I was right but the few minutes-after struggling with the door and getting maintenance to let us in again was less than 15. Not worth the effort or the gas really.

Nonetheless we made it bake to the boat and got good seats on the port side and enjoyed the tour through the Venice of America. I hesitate to say enjoyed. The obvious consumption of goods and displays of wealth were somewhat troubling. I can see where people might get ideas about “deserving” help and the need for redistribution of wealth. I am glad I live in Utah and do not need to see this kind of display all the time. And talk about a lot of boats, yachts I should say, man oh man.
They were everywhere! And huge repair places! Do you know what BOAT means? Bring Out Another Thousand. The dinner was good, all you can eat ribs, shrimp, chicken. . . which pleased both of us. And a nice little show that, of course was moved inside due to rain.

We were two tired people!

3 comments:

something very bright said...

You definitely saw a lot! It's cool that most stuff you remember is still there.

Screamin' Meme said...

Renee that's sounds so wonderful. I'm glad you were able to go to the temple while you were there. And that you were able to visit so many places that you remembered while you were there.

Mary said...

It is interesting to see how things (and perspectives) change, isn't it? Even Logan seems to change every time I go through.