easter

Together

Together

Friday, April 2, 2010

What Spring Means


Spring! (picture and collage by Mary)

Spring means a lot of things.
In Utah Spring means SNOW. We had about 4 inches yesterday. they say there is more to come. If we didn't need the water I would complain. But, we do need the water, badly!


Beck and me at Ella's Concert

Spring also means End of year Concerts for parents, and grandparents, of school aged children. Thus, it was my privileged to attend Ella's first performance. Of course, she was great!
At the Technological College Spring means Fashion Show. For years Dave has done the music and lights. it is a lot of work but it's worth it to him. Last year Lexy and Noah were involved. This year it was just Noah. What a doll. He's been sick-but what a trooper! (I will add pictures when I get them)

Ella, top left.

Spring also means General Conference. What an exciting time of year. I so love the inspirational talks and music. We used to go down SLC for Conference almost every time. Now it is hard to get tickets and usually the kids come up here. Now, if the kids come, we can't hear anything so they mostly stay home. Divide and conquer seems to be the solution at this stage. And this year with all the illness going around-we are better apart!

Spring means Easter. The single most important holiday of the year to me. there is nothing more valuable to me than my Savior, Jesus Christ, and the atonement. It is the only way by which I may return to live in His presence. My deep feelings and love for my Savior prohibits me from sharing the stage with a rabbit. The world loves to corrupt and distract from what is truly important, Christmas and Easter are the most glaring examples. I want and need my "Holy Days", I need to express my love and appreciation for my Savior.

As a child my mother dressed us up in new clothes, representing the new life that comes to the world via Jesus Christ and symbolized by the rebirth of plant and animal life. We would go to the Orange Bowl and see the pageant-Sunrise Services. I can see the progression of the story, depicted by real people who also looved the lord. We were not of the same religion-but we shared this central belief. I gained a deep respect for people of other religions and beliefs.


Now I go up to the cemetery. I sit on the bench at John's grave. Sometimes i sing, sometimes (usually) I cry, and I watch the sun come up. And I say "As surly as the Son of God rose on the first Easter Morn, and As surely as the sun came up today, my son, John, will also rise." and we will all be together again. Oh, the promise of Easter can not, will not be overshadowed by the world! Without death we would not know life.


Come what may, this is my 100th post and I would be wrong not to thank my God for the blessings he has given me. they are to numerous to mention. I recognize His hand in guiding and protecting me to this point in my life. I will praise His name forever.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Those are reasons why I love Spring, too. I wish it was a bit more like Spring outside.

Unknown said...

I LOVE that picture of you!! (with Becca) Great post, Mom. I'm grateful to have parents who teach the true meanings of holidays. :)