easter

Together

Together

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Worst Dinner Ever

I thought the roast sprinkled with Cocoa would be the worst dinner I ever served but no. I seem to be trying to out do myself lately.

The latest and most successful attempt to create the absolute worst dinner ever occurred Saturday night.

Observing Dad's new saying, I thought we would eat whatever he wanted AND "what the cupboard could afford." Ok, the only redeeming feature of this awful event was that Pat chose it. How about creamed chipped beef on toast? I was good with that. We have had the dried chipped beef in the cupboard for (years) a long time. I had the dish often as a child and had fed it to my own children through the years so, no big problem.
First I checked out all my favorite online sites for recipes and found a few that looked good. One added a little brown sugar, hmmm OK. So I started. The recipe called for two 3oz packages fo beef. I had a four oz, bottle-OK.

They are not equivalent! Mine was the dry-very very very salty stuff. Obviously not what was intended. I added the sugar but in the end it was just horrible. I ate about half of the toast out from the under the stiff (almost dough like) mess but Pat was hungry. I ate at least 3/4 of the frozen peas I made ot go along with it--just trying to do something about all the salt. Pat ate on, one bite at a time. UGH! Finally having eaten less than half of his first serving--he always wants seconds--he gave up. I believe he said something like, "I think I'm full" He was so kind, never said a word about how bad it was. He knew I knew, I made that known with every bite I took!

Believe me, oh please, believe me it was the worst dinner ever. I even bypassed the refrigerated leftover "but never eaten" delay and threw it away! Now that is something I can be proud of-I just threw it away! I doubt I ever eat creamed dried beef again. And that is ok with me. Unless someone else cooks it, of course.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I have made some crazy concoctions myself, but that truly sounds terrible. Choking it down without complaint is definitely a sign of true love.

Lexy said...

LOL, Oh this made me giggle I could totally picture it all. I have never had that before. I know I have made some nasty things before. It really is true love that he wouldn't say anything, that is sweet. :) HAHAHA I am still giggling.

something very bright said...

Hahaha! I've definitely been there as well! I love all the blogging you're doing!

Screamin' Meme said...

I've been there and done that especially when trying to recreate dishes off the internet and make it work with what the pocket book could afford, and the cupboards supply. I'm impressed that Pat didn't say anything. Of course, he knew that you already knew, he probably thought you were enduring enough humiliation on your own, he didn't need to say anything. It's sweet!