easter

Together

Together

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Father's Day Weekend "You've got to have a dream. If you don't have a dream, how are you gonna have a dream come true?"

All the kids, spouses and grandchildren came up on Saturday. We celebrated Lily's second birthday. Rachael and Seuao put on such a cute Mickey Mouse Party. She planned to have a pool party. But alas we have had the rainiest June in many years and it rained. Thus the second floor of the Nolan clubhouse was the location. There was lots of dancing and gifts and pin the bow on Minnie's hair. Of course, we had lots of good food and hot dogs (you can't play hot diggity dog and not eat hot dogs) Lily was so overwhelmed with the whole thing that when they brought out the cake with the candles she threw herself on the floor and cried. She got over it pretty fast but I never thought I would see anything overwhelm this little ball of fire! We definitely have much more room up stairs. and everyone (except Mary, who had a headache) had a lot of fun.

We had such a great Father's Day. We missed Mary and Allen and Benji as they had to go back to SLC so she could lead the music for Primary. (Too bad the Bishop forgot and didn't put it on the program--or remember to insert it during the program. So, she marched the kids out of Primary and into the Priesthood room and sang to the Dads! You go you fine Woman!!!)
Everyone (minus Lexy who had to stay home with our darling one week old Phoebe) went to Sacrament meeting and later we had Dad's favorite--Lasagna (I often refer too June as National Lasagna Month. We usually get eat it three times during the month-Father's Day, our anniversary, and Pat's birthday) This year, Father's Day and our anniversary were on the very same day, June 21st.

Pat received some very nice and thoughtful gifts, The Last Lecture (in book form). the rugby Movie -Forever Strong, and a recliner! I know he will put it to use. We talked about naming it the "sleeping chair." It has the place of honor in front of the big TV upstairs. It was sad, I caught him-too many times-- sitting on a ball with an afgan wrapped around him-the couches were too uncomfortable to sit on and he wouldn't turn on the heat for just him- watching his new big TV. He really does deserve to have a comfortable place to sit! He deserves good food too (see the pizza entry of last weekend). Unfortunately, he doesn't always get all the good things he deserves. But I am trying, and yes most of the time I am also very trying.

I got a nice card for our anniversary. After 35 years you'd think . ..don't think, just be grateful for the card. He asked me a few weeks ago what I wanted for out anniversary--I decided to follow Dave's example--I dreamed big--and asked for a bedroom set. I have always wanted one. About 25 years ago I gave up and made us a dressed and two night stands in the adult wood shop class in Panguitch. It is very heavy duty. I used 3/4 inch ply wood and scraps from the saw mill. The dresser is so heavy it has not been moved in the almost 20 years we have lived in this house. Oh well, "You've got to have a dream. If you don't have a dream, how are you gonna have a dream come true?"

Banff National Park, Canada

We are planning on going on our first vacation alone together in many years this summer. I think that is what Pat has in mind as a gift for our anniversary. I must say it is going to be an change. I can't remember spending more than a few hours alone with him outside of a movie theater or in front of the TV or in church--and that was probably driving to and from SLC. Hummmmm. . . .

3 comments:

Mary said...

I'm sorry I forgot to wish you a happy anniversary when I called on Sunday. I hope you have a nice vaycay . . . at least now you can use the "This is my anniversary present" excuse when he starts complaining about money! ;o)

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you get to do SOMETHING outside the mundane everyday life. :) Glacier is beautiful, and I'm sure you'll have a great time together. It's the person your with that makes vacations worthwhile. :) Love you!

Unknown said...

P.S. Dad ALSO got "Forever Strong" from someone.... :)