easter

Together

Together

Monday, June 15, 2009

Feeding Dad Pizza

Dad is only home for 9 meals a week. One might imagine that I could manage to cook that much. Add to that when asked, "What do you want to eat?" His answer is always either "Something good" or "what ever the cupboard can afford." Neither of which answers are very inspiring. After all I think everything I feed him is "good" and obviously we can "afford" it. I have yet to make him lobster, but I would love to. Actually I would rather go to Red Lobster and let them cook it . . .However, I am beginning to believe what I feed him is a direct reflection of my internal stress or 'busy'ness level.

This weekend reached new levels, let me explain via the menu.

Friday
dinner-Navajo Tacos (the scone mixture I had made up on Tuesday or Wednesday and needed to be made. It was topped with chicken that was dated 'best if used by 041209' but I tasted it and it seemed ok. It was only 2 months past. Neither of us got sick!

Saturday
breakfast-who is up for breakfast before 7 am? I was glas there was enough (not sour) milk.
lunch-we were on our way to SLC to meet Phoebe. there was no time to stop!
On the way back we tried to out run the rain but gave up in Layton. We visited Dennys, possibly of Dad's favorite. Then we actually had breakfast.
dinner- I was going to get some chicken at Sams but ordered a pizza at the deli before I remembered what I came for. So pizza and a vegetable tray it was. I also go thim a peach pie to prove I was conceerned about his happiness and "fullness." And I was really tired.

Sunday
breakfast- if there is leftover pizza Dad will eat it! He enjoyed it that time, I think. Again I was asleep. He felt the needed to be at church at 7:15 to set up chairs. I didn't need to be there until 8:30-half an hour before the meetings began. so I slept until almost 8 am.
lunch-Pat got home before me so he again ate pizza. This time he ate a few vegetables with it.
dinner- Well I had to leave at 5:15 to get everything ready for the fireside. Now I know he can cook frozen dinners and ther were two of them he cold have chosen from. In fact I made it clear that since I would not be home the (really good, extra special) frozen dinners were going to have to do. Can you guess what he ate? More pizza.
late night-about 9:30) he was looking around the kitchen, finding little to meet his needs. Note I had not done much more shopping than the pizza, vegi tray, peach pie, and bananas from Sams. he had been eating little pieces of the peach pie but that just was not going to do. finally I couldn't take it any more, (I felt so bad for him) I made him a chicken helper with canned chicken . He thougth it was great!
It's amazing what hunger and deprivation can do to the taste buds. It was actually pretty good.

Monday
breakfast-I believe he had cold cereal. But then again it could have been piza since I had not done the dishes and I know we were running short on bowls. Again, why should I be up and making breakfast before 7am if I don't have to?
11ees-(as in the Hobbit) he started to heat he last of the pizza (have you ever heard of a pizza lasting through that many meals?) I knew he deserved more so I made him an omlet. It has almost become a tradition on Monday mornings for 11ees. It is one of his favorites and I simply couldn't see him eating more pizza while I read email.
So, with a happy heart I made his omlett.

However, he wrapped up the last two pieces of the pizza and took them with him to SLC for a snack.

Who would have thought you could get that many meals out of one pizza?

Poor Dad.

Next weekend he will get his favorite, Lasagna. After all it will be Fathers Day and he deserves it. If he gets his way he will get it the next weekend as well. Lasagna will still be his favorite and it will be his birthday on Sunday. It will probably be a long time before I feed him pizza again, at least without some hungry sons (I include the imported fellows in that) to help him eat it.

1 comment:

Mary said...

That's hilarious. Dad cracks me up sometimes!