easter

Together

Together

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A voice from the Past, my friend Mary Harris

You will never believe who called me today, Mary Harris. Yes friends, one of my true friends in life.

Mary said she was reading in the Ensign about the 12 Step program for LDS folks and thought of me. Over 20 years ago I did a 12 step program and talked about it a lot with her. At the time I really wanted to write one myself and include the scriptures and beliefs Mormonism brought to the table that aligned with the original program. Mary remembered those conversations. Well it just ook the world and the church a few years to get it done. But at last it is done. See the June Ensign if you are interested in the specifics. I always knew I was ahead of my time.

We caught up on her kids and life. Seh is still going to school. She wants to teach art. She has to get a BFA *(Bachelors of Fine Art) first and then do the education stuff. She got her AA in Richfield and is now attending in Cedar, during the school year. She lives over ther during the week with her mother.

As for the kids, Emmily got married-I remember her sending us the announcement-in a black wedding dress. She didn't ewant to have anything to do with the Church. Molly is now divorced and doing her own thing with a guy that has 5 kids, Wesley, bless his heart, is hanging in there-going to church and being a good son. I forgot to ask about Emily--so now I have an excuse to call her back.

It was so cool. We talked for well over an hour. It was as if we hadn't missed a single day. She told me how she mourned our moving and had truly missed us. I know we are going down next year but I should find a way to see her before then.

She and Bob are celebrating their 45th anniversary this year. that to me is amazing beyond belief. Right now Bob gives trail rides in Zions national park 4 days a week and comes home for three. It's interesting how marriages hold up under these circumstances (I will withold further comments on that subject). Right now there is no school so she is growing a garden in Panguitch. I can't imagine a more difficult thing to do. All I ever got to grow was broccoli and even then we never got to eat any of it! She turned Bob's pigeon house into a green house and actualy has 7 tomato plants growing.

I don't know if she will ever graduate and actually getto teach but I am so proud of her for putting forth the effort and pursuing education and knowledge. I asked her if she had a blog or email---she has neither in the summer. but I gave her my info and I hope to be a more compassionate and attentive friend. She is the kind you keep forever. I love you , Mary Harris. thanks for being such a great influencee on me and my children. You may have actually saved my life a time or two while we were living in the wilderness.

It, just this very minute, occured to me that we spent 8 years wandring in the wilderness. Growing up and maturing in many ways. Being "baptized" and getting ready to spend our lives in Logan-the real world. And a wonderful world it is. Thanks again Mary.

I guess I'd beetter get back on the trail of the list of things to do.
Do you think I am avoiding it? No, never, not me!

2 comments:

Mary said...

It's always so nice to hear from old friends, isn't it? And it's kinda funny that you refer to Logan as the "Real World." Some people might claim otherwise. ;o)

Unknown said...

I claim that Logan is not the real world. Ha. Any word about Pearl Anne from Mary H.?